I promised myself a few months ago that I would fall back in love with reading and if I’m being honest, I’m doing pretty OK at it. I’m even branching out from my usual genre of fantasy or dark and twisty. I actually can’t remember the last fantasy book I read so I’m obviously doing well on that front.
I decided to take part in a blog book tour. Basically, I read a book and post about it as do a number of other bloggers. I decided to go for a book I would probably wouldn’t even pick up in a bookshop or order off Amazon. I picked up Andy Gibney’s book, How to Secure Your Wife. Andy Gibney was a therapist for 12 years listening to all sorts of people. When he came out of a long term relationship, he found that the dating scene had completely changed. He wrote this almost biographical journey about dating in the 21st century. For me, it was an interesting read; I’ve been out the dating game for almost 7 years and I wouldn’t have a clue on it if I was to go back into it. It was also interesting reading this mostly from a male perspective. Before I go on, I’m going to share the 12 things I learnt from this book in true Blogger & The Geek style.
1. Communication is the key to all relationships. Without communication, you’re pretty much done for.
2. It’s impossible to have an affair with a person who’s happy in a relationship. Unhappy people strive for something else.
3. Internet dating sites are an absolute mind field. It’s actually more than whacking up a profile picture and a bio.. There’s rules and regulations for that kinda stuff.
4. It’s pointless sharing a life with someone without wanting the same things. Stuff’s just gonna go to pot at a later date.
5. Never pay six months up front for an internet dating website. You will never use it for that long.
6. Coffee shops are the perfect first date; perfect amount of time, affordable and easy to make an exit if needed.
7. If you want something change, you’re the only person who can do it. People can only listen to so much.
8. We’ve all got a friend like Andy’s pal, Tony.
9. Internet dating can be a little shallow but that’s not to say it doesn’t work
It’s a great read for anyone who is interested in relationships and seeing how they can work out. It does make you question your own relationship and how your actions can have an impact on other people.
You can purchase How to Seduce Your Wife on Amazon
*I was asked to review the book in exchange for a blog post.