I am absolutely hooked on Pokemon Go.
I’m sure every single 20+ year old is feeling the same. Our whole childhood has come to life and we can actually go and catch Pokemon. 8 year old me never would have thought that 25 year old me would be walking round with my boyfriend and my dog trying to catch as many Pidgeys as I could.Seriously, everyone’s dream has come true.
I have never seen a game hook people like Pokemon Go has. I’ve been playing it for around a week and it’s bought me so much joy. I’ve also learnt a lot in the past seven days, so here’s what I’ve learnt:
1. 10K is a really long distance and it is not achievable walking around an office. No matter how many times you walk the copier or to make a brew; it’s just never enough steps.
2. But, you’re more likely to hit your Fitbit step target. You’ve also never walked so much in your life or had so much fresh air.
3. You don’t understand why 7 year olds are playing this game. This is the original 150 Pokemon – none of this X and Y crap. I’VE BEEN WAITING NEARLY 20 YEARS FOR THIS. STOP BREAKING THE SERVERS BY LOGGING ON.
4. When an Aerodactyl appears on the M6, you have debated pulling over on the hard shoulder just to go and catch it.
5. It is possible to walk your dog too much.
6. You’ve never resented living in the countryside so much as you do now. Where are the goddamn Pokemon hiding? Why do they suddenly like city living all of a sudden?
7. Your parents didn’t understand it when you were a kid and they certainly don’t understand why you’re playing it now as an adult.
8. Ghastly and Gas Leak sound very similar. Do not shout out, ‘Oh my god it’s a ghastly’ out in public without expecting at least one person to panic.
9. It’s becoming part of your everyday work life to e-mail your colleagues when there is a Squirtle or a Jigglypuff in your office.
10. If you have a portable phone charger or a phone cable, everybody wants to be your best friend. If you’re the person with the phone charger, don’t give it them. You are the one who was prepared. You go Glen Coco!
11. You only go and see your friends if they live near a selection of Pokestops. There’s no time to hang around with people who don’t have these amenities!
12. Despite the server crashes, constantly having to sign in with your really long Google e-mail and the 30 pidgeys you catch every day, it’s seriously the best thing ever to happen to every 90’s kid. You’e actually a Pokemon trainer. Thanks Nintendo for making all our dreams come true!